1. When browning ground beef, add water to the pan. Instead of the grease frying into the meat it comes out into the water and can be poured out.
2. Use hot milk instead of cold when mashing potatoes. You’ll be surprised at the difference in lightness of the potatoes!
3. If you are prone to boil-overs when cooking rice or dry pasta, try greasing the top 2 inches of the inside of the pot. The water will stay just where it should.
4. Substitute lemon juice for vinegar in salad and vegetable recipes. It will give your recipe extra zip!
5. When cooking cabbage, place a piece of celery in the pot. It will prevent odors from filling your house!
6. When making meatloaf, place the meat and other ingredients in a plastic bag and zip it shut. Then simply knead the mixture together in the bag. This way you won’t need to wash your hands or a mixing bowl!
7. For a super quick, child-friendly smoothie, simply blend a peeled banana, a tray of ice cubes, and about a cup and a half of orange juice.
8. You can freeze leftover cooked rice or barley. Then you can simply defrost when needed for a simple side dish or use in recipes.
9. Red potatoes make great potato salads because their skin is so thin you don’t need to peel them. They also don’t absorb excess dressing or break apart as easily